Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.”
~ Martin Luther King, Jr.
It’s awful to be on the receiving end of the silent treatment.
It’s just as awful to be the one who dishes out this “punishment.” Because it’s a rotten way to communicate. It takes a deeply insecure, deeply frustrated person to resort to this method of getting one’s point across.
So let’s stop it, shall we?
There’s no need to treat each other this way.
And, it’s awful role-modeling for children … who are then at risk for behaving the exact same way, when they’re grown up.
Let’s break the cycle, shall we?
Change the behavior now! Short-circuit leaving this legacy to the younger generation.
So, why do people behave this way?
And what should the person whose getting the silent treatment, do?First, I made the video below about this for you.
So keep reading + then “Click to Watch” below.
Why give the silent treatment?Many possible reasons. Here are two:
- Sometimes people are at a loss for words. They don’t know what to say + feel it’s better to say nothing. (“I clam up before I stick my foot in my mouth.”)
- The silent treatment could be a form of punishment. Some people handle their anger by punishing the people they’re mad at. What could be more punitive than a type of withdrawal from a relationship… A withholding of love?
How to handle getting the silent treatment?
- Continue to feel good about yourself.
- Let the other person stew over his/her unresolved feelings(which are instigating this unhealthy behavior).
- If there are children involved, teach them.. without badmouthing the other parent, that:
“This behavior is rude and reflects poor communication skills.”
And… If you’re the one who is giving the silent treatment, STOP. Find a healthier way to deal with your anger.
CLICK TO WATCH
In an earlier vlog I shared how much fun it was to do the column at Hawaii Reporter + why I put that terrific project to rest.
Click here + to view that earlier vlog.
PS: Are you a giver or receiver of the silent treatment? How does it feel?
ENJOY THE COMMENTS BELOW OR ADD YOURS